Welcome to NetSquared! This guide will take you step by step through the process of starting a new group (or taking over an inactive group). Follow the articles in the left navigation.
What is NetSquared?
NetSquared is a volunteer-led program of TechSoup that builds the technology and digital marketing capacity of capacity of nonprofits, charities, and libraries. Local leaders, like you, host monthly workshops, networking events, and discussions to create a community of practice for everyone interested in using tech for good.
What do NetSquared events look like?
- Occur monthly
- Are live, in-person events
- Build the digital marketing and technology skills of nonprofits, charities, libraries, and churches
- Are free or by donation
Our main audience is nonprofit staff and volunteers who work in communications, fundraising, IT, and programming roles. People attend NetSquared events because they are looking for practical technology advice and tools to help them be more effective in their work.
But changing the world is hard, so we need more than just nonprofits! The other half of our attendees are techies, consultants, academics, government, marketers, and more.... anyone who is passionate about using technology for social impact.
The organizer role
NetSquared organizers combine the skills of event planning and community management.
- NetSquared organizers are hosts. You don't need to be a tech expert, just someone who is curious and #Tech4Good and passionate about bringing people together.
- You are independent and the local face of NetSquared. You lead in your city, and we support you.
- You will manage the venue, select topics, and promote the events throughout your community
This varies a lot, but once you have launched your group the typical organizer spends one hour per week.
- No $$. NetSquared purposely doesn't involve any money – it makes things simpler! Organizers are expected to find donated venues and presenters.
- Host monthly events... or hold them at least once a quarter.
- Create an open, supportive, accessible community that welcomes everyone.
- Avoid hard sales pitches. Nobody likes those!
- Build a reputation as an expert and network with your local nonprofit tech community.
- Socialize and find your community.
- Give back! Platform for sharing your skills and building the capacity of nonprofits.
As a NetSquared organizer, you build your reputation, develop new tech skills, and give back. There is no pay – except for tremendous karma and having an excuse to hang out with other cool people.
How We Will Support You
We're here to help you create amazing events. We can help with:
- Subscription to Meetup.com
- Event ideas from 250 organizers who have gone before you
- Promotion of your events across the TechSoup network, including our blogs, newsletters, and calendars
- And we'll be your cheerleader, who offers encouragement and tips at every step
Do you need help? NetSquared's community manager is there for you.
Elijah van der Giessen