The Needs Parade/Community Calendar is a quick and fun way for your members to showcase themselves, their needs and their work.
This is also your opportunity to ask for co-organizers or volunteers!
What does a Needs Parade look like?
1. Before presentation
Announce that you'll be giving everyone 1 minute to share a need, event, job listing, volunteer posting, or other announcement at the end of the meetup.
2. After presentation
- Inform attendees that you're beginning the Needs Parade
- Key points
- How long they get to speak (1 minute maximum)
- Can share anything they need or want to announce, including: events, job postings, project collaborators, volunteer positions, campaign launches, etc.
- You should go first to model the format - this is your chance to ask for co-organizers, event producers, or volunteers
Beginning of event
"I know that you're doing amazing things - and this is your chance to prove it! I'll give you 1 minute to show off, share a volunteer posting, search for a collaborator, or announce your latest event after our presentation today."
End of event
"And now it's time for the Needs Parade. Please start to line-up and we'll begin in just a moment.
Remember, you only get 1 minute, so keep it brief. I'll be here with a stopwatch timing you.
Got something cool going on or something your need? Now's your chance to share it! It could be a volunteer posting, an event announcement, a piece of hot gossip... so don't be afraid to share!
I'll go first. Our NetSquared group is looking for a co-organizer to produce two events a year, so if you have event ideas let me know!"
- Keep things moving quickly. We suggest a maximum of 1 minute for each person.
- Don't be afraid to be strict with your timer. Assign someone to police the time.