NetSquared's primary experience is in-person — but the emerging COVID-19 pandemic requires us to be flexible. TechSoup is offering a Zoom webinar room for groups that want to take their events virtual.
Should You Cancel Your Upcoming Events?
The answer depends on your local situation — always follow the guidance of your local government's health board.
If you cancel an event follow Meetup's recommendations.
When canceling an event notify all meetup members and give them an alternative. Either:
- Cancel your event, but invite your members to register for the next free TechSoup webinar OR
- Transition your event to an online version, using a livestreaming or webinar platform.
Posting an Online/Virtual Event on Meetup
Meetup is designed for live events, but use these best practices when posting an online event:
- Begin your event title with [ONLINE].
- Click the "make online event" checkbox and enter your webinar link (full instructions from Meetup)
Booking the Zoom Room
- Check to ensure the room is available using the calendar below.
- Use the booking form to reserve your room — once you are confirmed your event will automatically be added to the calendar.
- Once your booking is confirmed we will email you the link for the Zoom room, which you can share with your members when promoting your event.
Check to confirm your virtual meetup time is available.
TIP: The calendar defaults to the Pacific Time zone — convert to your local time zone.
Q: How many attendees can join the Zoom room?
A: The Zoom room supports a maximum of 300 attendees at a time.
Q: Do people need to RSVP for the Zoom event?
A: No. Everyone uses the same link. However, they must create a free Zoom account.
Q: Do I have moderator powers over the Zoom?
A: Not by default. Anyone can share their screen or un-mute themselves. However, attendees will start muted to keep the noise under control. If you need moderator control please work with Eli to ensure he's available at your Zoom start time to manually give you administrator powers.
Q: How do I get full Host control of my Zoom meeting?
A: If your meeting is between 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday to Friday, Eli will log-in 15 minutes before your start time to make you the moderator.
If your meeting is outside these times contact Eli by email to get a moderator code.
Zoom Security Settings
These security settings are available to the "Host". To get these privileges please contact Eli, the NetSquared Community Manager.
To secure your Zoom meeting do the following:
- Ensure you are using the latest Zoom client (5.0 or better).
- Click the Security shield and un-check: "Share Screen", "Rename Themselves", and Unmute Themselves".
- Add any presenters who need to share slides or talk as a "co-host"